To participate in the Distance Education Partnership Program, eligible students will concurrently enroll at Leadership Education Academy and at a public charter school managed by Harmony Educational Services. This Distance Education Partnership Program will allow the charter school to pay students’ tuition for Leadership Education Academy Distance Education courses.
During the registration process, Harmony Educational Services will tell students how to register at the appropriate charter school. Students only need to physically go to the charter school one or two times per school year to take an assessment, and they do not need to live close to a charter school to qualify for the Distance Education Partnership Program. However, they do need to live in the state of Utah.
How it Works
There are two ways to participate in the Distance Education Partnership Program:
- Track One: All classes at Leadership Education Academy. The student wants to take all classes at Leadership Education Academy.
Steps to enroll:
- Browse the Leadership Education Academy Course Catalog to explore which classes you want to take. Email Janette Wagner, Principal Mentor, firstname.lastname@example.org if you need advice on selecting classes.
- Fill out the registration form. Note that you are paying “Third-party” and type in the following details:
Harmony Educational Services
Attn: John Thorn
1339 S. 2100 E.
Springville, Utah 84663 Harmony Educational Services will pay for four classes per student, per semester. Additional classes taken above the four, must be paid for by the student. Harmony Education will not pay for summer classes. Students must take at least two Core classes per semester. The additional two may be Core or Elective. In any given semester, Leadership Education Academy classes may be offered in either live or recorded formats, or both. Recorded courses will not be graded nor placed on an official transcript by Leadership Education Academy. Credit can be applied for at the Charter School of enrollment.
- Enroll at a public charter school operated by Harmony Education Services via the online new student sign up form.
- Participate in state testing, per Harmony Educational Services instructions.
- Submit Birth Certificate, Proof of Immunization or Exemption, and completed Registration Packet to Harmony Education.
- Develop a Student Education Occupation Plan (SEOP) with help from a Harmony Education academic advisor. (if you are in 9th grade or higher).
- Meet online attendance requirements (details below).
- Track Two: Part-time Leadership Education Academy, Part-time other Harmony Educational Services providers. The student wants to take some courses at American Heritage School and others from different online course providers who work with Harmony Educational Services.
Steps to enroll:
- Enroll at a public charter school operated by Harmony Educational Services via the online new student sign up form.
- Participate in annual state testing, per Harmony Educational Services instructions.
- Submit proof of immunization to Harmony Educational Services.
- Develop a Student Education Occupation Plan (SEOP) with help from a Harmony Educational Services academic advisor.
- Meet online attendance requirements (details below).
- Take at least four classes per semester, from the Distance Learning Course Catalog on the Harmony Educational Services website.
- The student will be able to choose from a menu of classes offered by Leadership Education Academy and other providers of online courses.
Who is eligible?
There are a limited number of seats in the Distance Education Partnership Program. Seats are awarded on a first come/first serve basis. Registration will open June 6 2011, and close 1 September 2011. It is anticipated that the number of available seats will grow each academic year. Students who attempt to enroll after all seats are taken will be placed on a lottery list so that they will automatically be considered for the following academic year. Students should be at least 10 years old at time of registration, or be turning 10 during their first semester in the program. Exceptions may be made for accelerated students who are turning 10, on a case-by-case basis. Inquire by emailing email@example.com
To enroll a student in a publically-funded charter school, parents are required to submit proof of immunization for their student, or provide to Harmony Educational Services the required, completed exemption forms in order to be considered fully enrolled. Any immunization record provided by a licensed physician, registered nurse, or public health official will be accepted as certification of immunization. Records may be emailed or faxed to Harmony Educational Services Processing Center:
All Harmony Ed students will have developed a working Student Education Occupation Plan (SEOP) upon enrollment in their 9th grade year. The SEOP will be developed in conjunction with the School Site Coordinator for your student’s school. Courses selected will be consistent with the student’s educational and occupational plans. A student’s SEOP may be amended, as needed, upon meeting with your School Site Coordinator.
All Students of a publicly-funded charter school, distance learning or part-time students, will need to participate in CRT state tests for American Heritage School & Harmony Educational Services to maintain our partnerships with charter schools. CRT tests are given in the subject areas of English Language Arts, Science, and Math. All students will take the English Language Arts test, but only students enrolled in particular Science or Math courses are required to take those tests. Please view the following information provided from the Utah State Office of Education, to see which tests your student would need to take:
Harmony Ed will help and support you every step of the way, in coordinating the most convenient testing site location, date, and time for your family. We even have access to Home School-friendly Special Education services, if your child needs testing accommodations. Tests will be administered sometime during the last six weeks of the School Calendar year. Testing Sites will be located at strategic points throughout the state, in order to service all families. School Site Coordinators will contact parents about a month before testing, to schedule a testing time and location that works best for the family.
Online Attendance Requirement
Leadership Education Academy will record and report on Leadership Education Academy course attendance and grades. A Quarterly report containing attendance and grades will be sent to Harmony Educational Services to maintain their partnerships with charter schools. Students enrolled in Leadership Education Academy courses will be responsible to meet the attendance requirements set forth by Leadership Education Academy and the individual course instructors. Students enrolled in Harmony Educational Services courses will need to meet the attendance requirements set forth by Harmony Educational Services. No certain number of hours, per student per day are required by Leadership Education Academy or Harmony Educational Services. Attendance is based on participation, completion and proficiency of assignments, not seat time.
Credit and Accreditation
Because the charter schools Harmony Educational Services manages are accredited, academic credit awarded at these schools is portable to other accredited schools, and recognized by colleges and universities. Once the semester ends, Leadership Education Academy will award final grades, and send it to Harmony Educational Services, who will then send the information to the charter school where the student is enrolled. The student will earn credit from the school.
Enrollment in Additional Public Schools
Students who enroll in the Leadership Education Academy /Harmony Educational Services Distance Education Partnership Program will not be eligible to enroll at any other public school concurrently during the same academic year.
Students who enroll in the program and fulfill graduation requirements will graduate from high school with an accredited degree. They may graduate from a public charter school, and/or from Williamsburg Academy (per Leadership Education Academy’s agreements with Williamsburg).
Harmony Ed Incentive
Students in the Distance Education Partnership Program do not qualify for the Harmony Educational Services incentives offered.